Saturday, November 1, 2008

Homemade Salsa

1 gallon of skinned and diced tomatoes (Roma are wonderful but any kind of tomato will work)
12 chopped jalapeno peppers (use caution and wear gloves while chopping peppers, after a bad experience, I just put in 3 T. or more of dried crushed red pepper)
3 sweet peppers (diced)
2 medium onions (diced)
2 T salt
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (I don't usually have this so I substitute fresh parsley)

Place all ingredients in a large pot. Simmer for 30 to 60 minutes uncovered. Can or freeze.
Hint: To thicken, I add 1/4 cup clear gell half way through the cooking time.



Edit to add Disclaimer: Though I've made this recipe for years, it has not been tested by experts for safety. I know that clear gell or other thickener is not usually recommended. Use this recipe at your own risk.

1 comment :

  1. Hi! I am a Southern Baptist with much different veiws on things..however, I am not letting those differences get in the way. I love your blog! And you seem like such a sweet homemaker...as a young wife, I look up to you a lot! I love reading your recipies..I am wanting to make some of that miracle bread. Thank you for that post!!! You are so sweet!!! I hope and pray I can be as good of a wife as you one day. You and your family look so happy. I was wanting to ask you...if you don't mind do you think you could write up a blog post about how to make your own soap..cheap easy and free? I would really appreciate that because, making homemade soap doesn't seem easy cheap or free lol...thank you for shring your wisdom with the rest of the world!! You are so cool!!

    God Bless you and yours,

    -Tina

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails