Monday, December 15, 2008

Sticky Buns

I've really fallen off on sharing bread recipes, but I just had to share our favorite sticky buns! My mom made these every Christmas morning, but, of course, they are treats any time of the year!

First, cook and mash potatoes to make one cup of potatoes. Save the water from cooking your potatoes. For some reason, yeast loves potato water! (That is a tip to remember any time you are cooking potatoes.) Allow the water to cool until warm.

1 1/2 cup warm potato water
1 T yeast
Mix together.
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp salt
Mix together. Add yeast water. Mix.
7 to 8 cups flour
Mix in flour one cup at time until you have a soft dough.
Knead for several minutes. Place in greased bowl. Raise. Punch down.
Roll out half the dough. Spread with melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar.
Roll up jelly roll style.
Slice in about 2 inch slices.
Place in greased pans.
Pour goo over the top.  Allow to raise until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
While still warm, dump rolls onto a cookie sheet.
This makes two 9x13 pans or four 9x9 pans.

Goo -
2 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
4 T molasses
4 T butter
Boil for one minute. Pour over rolls before raising.

Variations -
If you like nuts, sprinkle chopped nuts into the greased pans before placing rolls.
If you prefer cinnamon rolls (not sticky buns) omit the goo. After baking you may add your favorite caramel icing.

These rolls our awesome and truly the best I've tasted. (Though if you think you have a better recipe, I'd be glad to accept any rolls to do a taste test!) But sometimes, I just don't have the time this recipe requires.

So, if you want to make sticky buns the next day, mix up the above recipe. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover tightly and place in refrigerator. About 2 hours before serving sticky buns, take the dough out of the refrigerator, form into rolls as written above, and bake.


4 comments :

  1. Gina, I just found your blog and I love it. I have learned so much from you in so many ways. Thank you not only for sharing your faith, but your wisdom and knowledge and recipes as well. I have a question regarding the above recipe. The potato water, is that 1/2 cup or 1 and 1/2 cups? It is a little confusing to me as written. I would like yo make these as a thank you to my sister in law who has helped care for me during my recent illness and revovery. Thank you and may God continue to bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one and one half cup of potato water. If you don't have enough potato water, just add warm water to get the right amount.
      Gina

      Delete
  2. can you assemble these the night before and allow to slow rise in the fridge overnight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That works very well. And you can have warm buns in the morning!
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails