Thursday, August 6, 2009

Reader's Share - Zucchini Recipes

I asked for ideas to use up zucchini and you all sure gave them to me! Besides all the ideas readers shared in the comments found here, many of you emailed recipes to me! We found some new family favorites! Today and tomorrow, I'm going to share them with you!

Zucchini Seafood Casserole


I was referred to this recipe in our church cookbook by a friend, and my husband says it's a keeper. We substituted ground sausage for the seafood, but either would work. Hope it helps you enjoy your zucchini even just a little bit more! ~Eunice

4 c sliced zucchini, 1/4" thick
1 1/2 c Bisquick
1 1/2 c shredded sharp cheese
1 c chopped onion
1 -6 1/2 oz can tuna or crab meat, drained
1/2 c vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients. Spread in 12x7x2" greased casserole. Bake at 400 degrees uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Makes 6 servings.

Bleanies or Zucchini Potato Patties - Karen

1 ½ c. shredded zucchini
1 ½ c. peeled shredded potato
¼ c. chopped onion
¼ c. flour
1 t. parsley
1 t. salt
pepper to taste
3 eggs, slightly beaten


Toss together zucchini, potato and onion with flour. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat small amount of oil in skillet over medium heat. Drop mixture into skillet to form patties. Fry on both sides till golden brown. May top with a slice of cheese, if desired.

This is a typical Polish recipe (from the same ethnic group that invented Pierogies) - right from the start of the Anthracite Coal Region of PA (which is where I'm originally from). At home, they don't often put zucchini in - just potato, but this is a fantastic way to use up the zucchini. Also, cheese is rarely put on top - but some people might like it.

Zucchini Bacon Quiche

I really liked this recipe from Taste of Home because it was fast and easy and used up zucchini, but you can hardly tell it and its a great diversion for breakfast! - Linette


1 tube (8oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
2 tsp. prepared mustard
6 bacon strips, diced
3 c. thinly sliced zucchini (about 1 1/4 lbs.) Note: I shredded the zucchini.
1 medium onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil

Separate crescent dough into eight triangles; place in a greased 10 in. pie plate with points toward the center. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of plate to form a crust; seal perforations. Spread with mustard.

In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 T. drippings. Saute' zucchini and onion in drippings until tender. In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheeses seasonings, bacon and zucchini mixture. Pour into crust. Note: I sprinkled the bacon on top for pretties.

Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges loosely with foil if pastry browns too quickly.

2 comments :

  1. I'll be coming back here! I just posted about zucchini myself. Not any recipes yet, but I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina, Great Recipe's! Be sure to try my Lemon-Lime Chili Chicken. I blogged about the recipe here: http://muminbloom.blogspot.com/2009/07/recipe-lemon-lime-chili-chicken-slow.html
    and Zucchini Bread here:
    http://muminbloom.blogspot.com/2009/07/recipe-zucchini-bread.html

    I also made & blogged about your zucchini beef skillet. It was delicious and easy!

    Next week I'll be making Zucchini Pancakes with Tzatziki Sauce & will blog the recipie & photo's. I'll be sure to come back & share the link.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails