Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Fruit Slush

Fruit slush is one of our favorite treats in the summer. I thought everyone knew how to make fruit slush until I was talking to the lady at the orchard where I buy my peaches and she asked for the recipe. There are many variations but here is how I made it this week.

The cast of characters

1 quart diced peaches

3 to 6 chopped bananas

1 large can of pineapple
2 cup orange juice
2 cup apple juice
Mix together, place in containers and freeze.

I like to save yogurt containers and use them for fruit slush. Recently it seems that most yogurt is only covered with foil, but the ones with plastic lids are perfect. We like to carry them on picnics. They keep the other food cold and are thawed perfectly for eating in a few hours. They also work well in a lunch boxes.

I also put the slush in quart freezer boxes. Or in paper cups with a little plastic wrap. Glad Press and Seal works best, I've found.

When strawberries and blueberries are in season, I often add them, using canned peaches. Since the peaches contain syrup, I often eliminate the apple juice. I'm sure there are other variations you could come up with!

3 comments :

  1. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I am one of those who never thought of frozen "Fruit Slush" :-) I really enjoy reading your blog and I especially have enjoy your canning recipes. I'm 43 years old and I've just started this year canning for my family (just me and my husband). My mother and I have shared our garden bounty this year and have canned a lot. We want to can your soup (chicken and beef)recipes soon. Thanks again for sharing! Cindy from Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that you should post this today - I enjoyed this wonderful creation at a birthday party this past weekend and thought to myself, "why don't I ever make this?"
    You've inspired me once again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try this recipe. Here's how we make Watermelon Slushies:
    - chunks of seedless watermelon
    - crushed ice
    - honey to sweeten
    Blend together in a blender - yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails