Monday, February 15, 2010

Chocolate Waffles

At our house, we are fanatic about anything chocolate. And we make waffles at least once a week. Chocolate waffles seem like the best of both worlds, but I've never been sure if they were dessert or breakfast.

Valentine's Day was the perfect opportunity to try this recipe from Cuisine magazine. It was the first time I've made waffles with yeast. They were so light and airy and I loved that I could do most of the preparation the night before. Even with beating the egg whites, this recipe came together very quickly - a necessity for Sunday mornings!

These waffles would be wonderful with fresh strawberries and cream. Since fresh berries are several months away, I made a sauce with frozen berries and added a dollop of homemade yogurt.

The conclusion? This recipe is definitely a keeper! Easy to make and SO yummy! Maybe too rich for an everyday breakfast, but perfect for a special occasion! I can see this becoming a birthday breakfast tradition! These would be wonderful for dessert with ice cream and cherries!

Want to give it a try?

Chocolate Waffles

1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups milk
3 eggs, separated

The night before (or 8 hours before) mix together flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and yeast. In saucepan, melt butter and chocolate chips over low heat. Stir milk into chocolate , then stir into flour mixture. Cover batter and let sit on counter overnight.

In morning, heat waffle iron and separate eggs. Whisk yolks into the batter. Whip whites to soft peaks with hand mixer. Gently fold whites into batter. Do not over mix. A few lumps or white streaks are fine. Cook in hot iron. Enjoy!

Strawberry Sauce

1 quart berries
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
4 T cornstarch

Cook until thick.

6 comments :

  1. These chocolate recipes sound soooo good. I've been contemplating a waffle iron off and on. Do you store yours in a cupboard or leave it on the counter. Are there waffle irons that do more than make waffles?? And then there's my hubby, who says he doesn't like waffles. I'm quite sure that he'd like them if I made them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naptime Seamstress-
    We were given a waffle iron for a wedding gift and we've used it at least weekly ever since. I keep it in a cupboard since I have very little counter space. The one we have flips over to make a flat griddle surface. But I rarely use that feature. If I was buying a new one - I might get a Belgian waffle maker. I love those large holes! But this one has stood that test of time and made lots of great memories on "Waffle Wednesday"!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm waffles - I have been wanted to get a waffle iron for the longest time - this recipe looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks very good, I enjoy the recipes that you post. Need to make waffles more often. Good recipe to get me going again, sure the grandsons would love chocolate waffles as a special breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the chocolate variation. Vince isn't wild about waffles/pancakes, but I'm thinking these,with fruit, might be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these for lunch today and they were delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails