Wednesday, October 12, 2011

First Attempts at Dehydrating

I'm having so much fun with my new dehydrator.


So far I've dehydrated more herbs, lots of apples, peppers and onions.


The children are loving the apples. I think most of what I dried are already gone. They were perfect for stuffing in a pocket for a hike.


As usual, my onions were starting to go bad.


Dehydrating them will hopefully give me some onions over winter.


I blended them to add to soups and casseroles.


I am amazed at how much less space dried vegetables take.


I started with a sink full of colorful peppers,


chopped them up, dehydrated them,


and they all fit in a pint jar!

For those interested, the dehydrator I was given is similar to this one. (You can click on the picture to get more info from Amazon.)

I have been very pleased with the speed and the ability to choose different temperatures.
But now I need help. I know how to use dried herbs or apples, but how I do I use something like dried peppers? Should I soak them in boiling water before cooking with them?

I'd appreciate any information you can give on dehydrating, especially on re-hydrating. If you have written about it or know where to find good web info, I'd love if you share the link!

9 comments :

  1. For using the dried peppers, we just put them into soups or stews as they are.

    If I want to use them in another dish that doesn't have a great deal of liquid in it I first boil up some water and then soak the dried peppers in the water for about a half hour or so until they look rehydrated. I do the same with my dried mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those all look great! My grandma used to dry pears which we thought were almost as yummy as candy! I would like to get a dehydrator... maybe in time for next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same as MooMama -dried veges are so handy in winter for stews

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kiddos are loving the dried apples I've been doing, too.

    I've also dried a bunch of different peppers and am now working on tomatoes:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted a dehydrator for my birthday and found one at a local auction. I dried apples, bananas, cucumbers and tomatoes. I want to try potatoes and sweet potatoes. Like you, I was very pleased with the space saving concept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HMMMM... well my Mom was crazy about dehydrating. I don't know what to do, but I can tell you what not to do.

    About the peppers: Don't scrub them with your finger nails to get the oils off. They will cause your fingers to balloon up (swell). And you will spend a night in the ER to stop the swelling.

    Watermelon will not dehydrate.

    However, yogurt doesn't turn out too bad...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello gina
    i have also a dehydrator and i love it. the first was i have dried was carrots,than pepper,mushrooms, the next on my list are onions,cabbage and bananas.
    have you the onions blanched before you they have dried?
    have a wonderful day,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love dried onions! I love adding them to soups or stews. My mom would always make dried apples or bananas when she'd make dried fruit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the link - I've been hoping to put this on my list of to-do things (which seems to be getting longer and longer...) :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails