Thursday, April 26, 2012

Spring Gratitude

Counting my blessings...

The asparagus is up! With our unusually warm spring, it tried to come up several times, and each time was hit by a cold spell and froze at only a couple inches tall.

But the past week we've cut asparagus every other day which means lots of good eating.


Quiche

Pizza

Asparagus Stack

The first fresh vegetables of spring remind me that their is lots of good eating from the garden coming!


Saturday was an beautiful day - and Ed was home! We spent all morning working in the garden and planted green beans and corn. The children helped plant seeds by using their planting sticks.

We finished just in time. In the afternoon we received some much needed rain, and it continued for three days. To have our garden planted right before the rain was an extra blessing!

God is so good - why am I so slow to notice?

12 comments :

  1. Gina, I don't know you, and quite frankly, I can't remember just how I came across your blog this afternoon, but after reading here and there, I know that I am coming back for more. :) It's like reading a good book, when I find a great blog such as this one! I appreciate so much your desire to lift up Christ (esp. like the way you presented Mennonites in your Q and A post) before all else. I have 'saved' your blog for future reading and if you like, you are welcome to my blogs as well. God bless.
    ~Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia -
      Thanks for your kind encouragement! You are welcome to visit again!
      Gina

      Delete
  2. Gina, You might share this story with your children when they are using their planting sticks. This was the same method used of by the earliest native American years before Columbus ever arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan -
      My children will love to hear that they are imitating the native Americans!
      Gina

      Delete
  3. Mmmm! Yummy! When do you plant asparagus? I love the new look of your blog header! It's so pretty and "springy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that spring is the best time to plant asparagus. The best thing about asparagus is that you plant once and harvest for years! We have found asparagus very easy to grow!
      Gina

      Delete
  4. Your garden always does so well. What a blessing. So far this year we have pulled lots of herbs and green onions. We have to plant in containers but I love the way food feels in my hands when we have grown it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my family nothing beats the taste of fresh asparagus and the promise of the garden blessings to come. Have a great weekend.
    CQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Click on the link for asparagus stack to find out!
      Gina

      Delete
    2. How I envy you to be able to work out in the garden. Tonight we are at -9C(14F) and too cold to plant much of anything out in the garden.

      Delete
  7. I'm really enoying your blog, and the seed stick idea is a winner! I found Home Joys through a friend's link. I've never met you but I live in Meadville, PA and am good friends with Shaunda and Jolynn, so I can imagine some connection. :) I'm enjoying all the creative ideas you share, and (most of all) the humility with which you present them. Thanks!

    Shari Zook

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails