Tuesday, September 22, 2015

How to Make Oil-Packed Sun-Dried Tomatoes


I have dried tomatoes for several years, but I have had trouble rehydrating them easily for use.

Last year I tried placing them in oil - and found a winner. They were ready for instant use on pizza or salad. This year, I made sure that I had two jars of these tomatoes stored for winter. An added benefit is that one quart jar will hold a pan full of tomatoes - a great space saver in the pantry.

Here was the steps I followed.

1. Dehydrate tomatoes. I followed these directions for drying tomatoes. I like to dry them until they are leathery. When making tomato powder, I like to dehydrate a little longer until they are crispy. But for oil-packed tomatoes, I like them to still be bendable but with no moisture remaining.


2. Next I set up a dipping station. For safety, I dip the dried tomatoes in apple-cider vinegar. I use tongs to dip the tomato slices in vinegar, allow to drip for a few seconds, then layer them in a quart jar.

I continue dipping and layering until I have used all the tomatoes.

3. I then fill the jar with olive oil - making sure the tomatoes are completely covered with oil. This seems like a lot of oil but it won't be wasted. After using the tomatoes, I love to make salad dressing with this tomato-infused oil.

As the the tomatoes soak up the oil, they may sink down further in the jar. If you are making more batches of dehydrated tomatoes, you can add more vinegar-dipped tomatoes to the jar, adding more oil if needed.

4. Store the jar of oil-packed tomatoes in a dark place.The color of the tomatoes will change but they will stay tasty for over a year.

5. To use, fish out a tomato with a clean fork. Chop and add to a salad or pizza. Enjoy the intense flavor of summer.

7 comments :

  1. I smile...a couple of years ago I had a bumper crop of tomatoes and decided to try "sun dried tomatoes" like they sell in the stores. I had images of Tuscan hillsides with pristine pans of tomatoes drying in the Italian sun. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that those "sun dried tomatoes" are made in factories and it is against the health dept rules to leave them out in the sun! (so much for my mental images) I have frozen them before and put them in oil, but I am going to try your method as mine have gone 'off' after awhile ! Thanks for the hints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drying tomatoes this year for the first time. I will try this as it sounds yummy and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is intriguing! Probably not something I'll end up ever doing but it's interesting to read about :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I have dried tomatoes before but I haven't tried putting them in oil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long does this keep in the fridge? I'm thinking about making it, but if it doesn't keep long, I'll dehydrate the tomatoes and freeze them. Then in November, add oil and basil/rosemary to give as Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a jar that I made last summer and it is fine. The color is not as bright after a year but tastes wonderful.

      I do not keep it in the fridge because the oil will solidify. I keep it in a cool dark cupboard.
      Gina

      Delete
  6. I love your posts and keep your family in my prayers. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I hope to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails