Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Grandma's Coconut Cookies


My daughter is the resident cookie baker at our house. With her on staff, it is far more rare for the cookie jar to be empty than when I was the sole baker. Coconut cookies are one of her current favorites. My mom gave me this recipe years ago, but I'm not sure who "Grandma" is. I need to ask if this is an old family recipe or just the name on a recipe pulled from a magazine years ago. 

Not that it matters. For my children, these coconut cookies are from Grandma and will continue to be a favorite.

I always use coconut oil in this recipe. I think it accents the coconut, but if you prefer, butter is also a great option. The oatmeal and whole wheat flour help me pretend that these cookies are good for me.

And as always, the secret to any good cookie is to not overbake. I like to pull them out slightly underbaked and allow the cookies to continue to bake for a few minutes on the pan before removing to a cooling rack.

Grandma's Coconut Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut oil or butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or white if you prefer)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups quick oatmeal
2 cup flaked coconut

Cream sugar, brown sugar, and oil/butter. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix in remaining ingredients. Place dough on cookie sheet, slightly pressing down dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool.


7 comments :

  1. Gina these sound delicious. About how many dozen does this recipe make? Thanks for sharing!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie-
      I'm not sure. It would depend on the size and I never counted.
      Gina

      Delete
  2. Hi thanks for the recipe near the end of instructions do you mean cool or cook for another 5 minutes?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix the recipe.
      Gina

      Delete
  3. Are you using unsweetened coconut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've used both. Obviously sweetened coconut would make a sweeter cookie but I think they both work.
      Gina

      Delete
  4. Gina I made these cookies but they were extremely salty. Is the recipe correct at 2 tsp salt? Other than the saltiness they were yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails